Thursday, September 10, 2015

Schooling 101


It's weird.

I look at this picture and from the evidence it would appear that these little boys are joyfully chipping away at furthering their education while I stand nearby and menu plan for a large family on a budget.


(why is this picture upside down?  all I can say is the devil is alive and I don't know)
 
 
We are all taking a break.  The boys are resting their hands and mine is a mental health break which includes dreaming of sectionals and writing.
 
So, here's the deal.
 
The shiny has worn off of the new and we are settled into the real trenches of our new days which includes ABC's & 123's.  We are still trying to establish our routines for the new year and as usual, I am battling my Type A perfectionist side that doesn't tend to mix well with what I have been called to do.  We are still settling into a new house.  Most of the unpacking is done, I still have some organizing to do, but we are almost done and completely settled.
 
One of my biggest challenges right now with being productive is something we like to call "THE TODDLER." 
 
We recently moved into an older home that we renovated and it is bigger than any other house I've ever lived in and it takes me a few minutes to find that little stinker.  Not to mention she has several hiding spots she tends toward.  It's not that I don't like interrupting lessons to play find the monkey, I do, it's just that it makes for frustration from time to time.
 
My latest wild goose chase led me to a remote corner behind a chair where she was trying on big brother's tennis shoes.
 




Here are a few things I'm reminding myself of today:

  • I have the time to accomplish what I need to accomplish today.
  • It doesn't all have to get done.
  • Despite how I feel, God has given me every tiny ounce of grace that I need to navigate the waters of today.
  • Seeing as how it is almost noon, I should probably get out of my jammies and get ready for the day which always helps change my perspective.
  • Take breaks.
  • It is not only OK for big brothers to chip in on sharing the load, it is vital.  I am one woman with two hands shepherding a whole herd of precious children.  I need help.  We all have to work together to make this work.
  • Pause to read an enjoyable book.
  • Smile.
  • Sing.
  • Laugh.
  • Find my chocolate stash and hide for a few minutes.
  • Pray.
  • Make sure my eyes are focused on Jesus and not the chaos.