Monday, August 25, 2014

WHERE WE DO OUR LESSONS

We are all loving our new school year. We ordered our new material and began at the end of May.  That was not an overachiever move on my part, it was a "we had a really slow-rough-didn't get too much done" year last year so when I was up and running from the baby we were all ready to dive right back in.

And by "we were all ready to dive back in" I mean-me

This is our fifth year of homeschooling.  Five years.  The beauty of another year is that God continues to build layers of what He wants our days to look like.  I am feeling more and more confident in my ability to step out and teach things that are not listed on paper that someone else planned for me.

It is liberating for sure.

We have had such a tailor made learning experience so far this year.

I have not felt like a failure!  Neither have the boys!


My comfy chair is where much of my teaching takes place.  Kids piled on couches under blankets.  The little guy usually sits at the dining table building Legos so his hands can be busy and he can listen while he builds.

Since reading out loud together is a majority of our learning experience, it made all the sense in the world to move the book basket to the fireplace.  It is so much more comfortable for us all to settle in for some good stories when we are in the living room.


The disciplined studies which include the English-y and math things happen at the kitchen table.

Where does your family do the majority of your lessons? 

When you think through your schooling needs don't be afraid to think outside of the box.  When I moved most of our school books to the living room it made it so easy for me to grab a book and share a lesson with the kids.