Monday, November 17, 2014

COZY DINNERS AND A RECIPE

It's weird. Even though I adore a sunny house with the windows open, I love cozy winter nights and rainy days.  There is something about these early evenings that make everything feel so warm inside the house.  Even heating up left-overs for dinner seems a little more festive.


I'm big into candle light dinners this time of year.  Even, especially, on left-over night.  We fill the table with our favorite drinking glasses and usually a bowl of whatever soup I've made that week and I just love it.  It is simple and beautiful.


Even though most of our dinners are nothing fancy, the candles always make it a little extra special.  This week I am super excited about making my chicken and dumplings.  I'll re-share the recipe with you.  This recipe is the darndest thing.  It looks so simple when you read the ingredients but I'm telling you we adore it around here.  It smells divine cooking away all day in the crock-pot and we all love it.  It is the perfect easy winter night meal.  I even pull my chicken straight from the bag in the freezer and toss it in FROZEN.  Have you ever?  I mean, really.


Crock Pot Chicken & Dumplins
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 6)
1 can cream of chicken
1 can cream of celery
2 cans chicken broth
2 T butter
seasoned salt & pepper
2 10oz cans refrigerator biscuits

Spray crock pot with Pam.  (I'm assuming your Mama taught you this but just in case here is your friendly reminder).

Put in frozen chicken.  Cover with soups, broth, butter, salt and pepper.  Liquid should cover all the chicken so add water if needed.  Cook on low 8 hours.  About an hour before you are ready to eat shred the chicken.  (I took the lid off and just used two forks to shred the chicken right in the crock pot).

Pinch off the biscuits and add them to the crockpot.  Cook until dumplins are not doughy, an hour or so.