Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The "Our Story" Part

Sometimes God works in surprising ways and every time He does I get re-surprised.  The "Our Story" part of my blog was something I knew I wanted to include, but was never sure what the gist of that section would be.


There is a part of our story that is changing.  I wasn't sure {and still am not 100% sure} of how much I wanted to share about it.  My reason for being hesitant to talk about it is the same as when I write about parenting and any other thing that I am in the midst of.  My heart is to encourage and maybe bless someone else.  The flip side of that is:  I am not an expertWe are in progress.  It is not information that I share in hind-site, it is real-time life.  That means that my well-intentioned efforts that seem so good today could fail tomorrow. 

So this new part of our journey?  It began a few weeks ago when I walked out of a Sunday sermon thinking about what had been said.

For days I thought on what was taught.

Want to know what I was thinking through and trying to figure out?

Idols.  I was trying to see what idols I have in my life.  And the frustrating part was that I thought and thought for days and couldn't think of any idols in my life.  Not one. Sin yes, I can list them, idols, um_____, nothing.  That in and of itself was sending up red flags because it let me know that I was probably blinded to them!

i·dol
ˈīdl/
a person or thing that is greatly admired, loved, or revered


So I asked someone I love and trust very much if they could see any idols in my life.  And sure enough, there was a suggestion for me.  Could food be an idol in your life?  Yep.  That was it.  Food hit the nail on the head.

Here's the deal.  Obviously I'm not a health nut.  If we're at a party and I stumble into the circle of peeps talking about gluten or inflammation or sprouting things, I'm going to politely excuse myself and refill my punch glass and go find the crowd who's talking decorating or beach vacations.  No offense to anyone but health talk is just not my gig.

All this leads me to what I said earlier about our story changing.

The new part of my story is this.  I'm changing what I put in my mouth.

Part of the reason food health is such a turn off to me is because it seems to suck the fun and life out of everything.  It would be such a drag to be sentenced to ordering salads every time I wanted to go out to eat.  Give me fajitas or give me death, you know what I'm sayin'?

But this new part of my journey is not about becoming a health nut or remaining solidly in the foodie camp. 

It is about smashing down the idol that food has become in my life.

Grinding it to powder just like the golden calf.

Grinding it to powder like almond flour.

Just kidding about that last part.  It's just an almond flour joke.  Us healthy people like to talk like that from time to time.  You get used to it.

So there you have it.

If you want to follow along I'm going to be talking about our journey to make baby steps toward honoring God with how we eat.  I'll guarantee you that the journey is going to include a balance between enjoying the full-fledged good stuff, and making wiser choices on the in-between times.