Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Chicken Noodle Soup-Crockpot Style

I'm hesistant to show you my unedited shoddy looking pictures snapped from my camera phone, but I promise you this dinner was a huge hit all around.


Yesterday after we got the lunch dishes cleaned up I started thinking about what we should have for dinner.  After assessing what I had on hand, I decided to try making a chicken noodle soup in the crockpot.


After spraying the crockpot with Pam, I tossed in 4 frozen chicken breasts.  I diced celery and carrot and dumped it on top of the chicken.  If I would've had an onion, I would have diced that as well.  I used onion powder to give it the flavor instead.  I sprinkled salt, pepper and onion powder, threw in some bay leaves and filled to the top of the mixture with chicken broth (about 8 cups).


About 30 minutes before we were ready to eat I pulled out the chicken and removed the bay leaves.  I had thin spaghetti noodles on hand, so I broke the noodles into small pieces and tossed them into the soup.  Any kind of noodle would work.  I think egg noodles or bowtie pasta would be amazing.  Using two forks I shredded the chicken and returned it to the crockpot.  Then I poured a little heavy whipping cream into the soup to thicken the sauce a bit.  So wrong yet so right.


These boys tore this up.  All you could hear was the sound of spoons clanking against bowls.  This is a successful dinner that is making its way into our family cookbook.  It was super quick and easy to throw together and was big on flavor!