Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Habit Training

Habit training is a big part of the Charlotte Mason focus.  Establishing strong habits and developing the habit of giving full attention are two biggies.


Habits are nothing more than your usual behavior.  It is auto-pilot for you.  Consistent routine reinforces the habit.  That goes for the good and the bad.

There are some deep engrained habits I've established.  They are so much a part of who I am and what I do that I don't even question the order of what to do next.  But then there is the task of training the little people in habits of neatness and excellence.  They'd be content to be sloppy and lazy.  I don't mean that in a harsh way, I'm just saying their natural bent would be to live with messes and play video games all day if left to their own devices.


It is my job to shepherd them and to move them into habits of excellence.  My struggle in leading comes with my inconsistency.  My problem also comes with landing on one path and sticking to it.  Squirrel!!!!

Here is a peek into some bad morning habits at our house.


Starting the day off on the wrong foot like this just messes with it all. 

This page is a simple list of morning chores to get the boys off on the right foot.


We are working on establishing habits of excellence.  Anyone can be sloppy and lazy.  That is our natural bent but that is not what I want to pass on to my children.  I want us to be hard workers who are trustworthy and can be counted on.  My prayer is that we will live in an orderly way that is honoring to God.

We are in our third week of school after the holiday.  Slowly, we are taking bite sized pieces of the puzzle and reinforcing the good.

The goal is progress, and though it comes slowly, it is being made.